A turbine completely designed for offshore use
The M5000 wind turbine is the first 5 MW turbine specifically for offshore wind farms. Robust, light and compact, it is designed to withstand the constraints and severe conditions of the marine environment.
Field Report #8: Offshore Wind
Today, offshore wind farm operators require strong partners offering large turbines with enhanced reliability, proven track record, high-performance and cost-effective design for higher water depths and greater distance to shore.
Find out how AREVA is helping utilities to make offshore wind projects successful.
Optimum operating conditions
- Powerful: the M5000 delivers up to 5 MW (for an average wind speed of around 12 m/s).
- Corrosion resistant: a patented air handling system protects the interior of the facility. The principle consists of purifying the air entering the facility and preventing any unpurified air from infiltrating it, thereby creating an internal overpressure phenomenon.
- Reliable: number of turning components reduced to a minimum; redundancy of auxiliary equipment and sensors; compact platform.
- Easy to assemble: lightness of the platform and rotor (340 tons in total); the entire unit is compact.
- Easy to maintain: the continuous remote surveillance of the wind turbine in operation and the presence of auxiliary emergency components enable less frequent interventions and enable them to be planned in accordance with the weather conditions.
With a rate power of 5 MW, the M5000 wind turbine is aimed at the large offshore wind farm market.
AREVA designs, manufactures, assembles and delivers the turbines. A five year maintenance program is provided as an optional extra. The group also supports its clients in the development of their offshore wind energy projects.
250 AREVA M5000 turbines have been chosen to equip European offshore wind farms.
A wind turbine suited to all types of usage: tripod, jacket, gravitary.
A turbine suitable for withstanding power grid fluctuations: the generator is synchronous to permanent magnets. It is connected to the grid using a 4 quadrant converter.
Light and rigid blades: the blades are made of carbon fiber. Their aerodynamics have been calculated for optimum yield and a reduction in noise emissions.
The innovative hybrid entrainment technology (a single multiplication bearing) combines the benefits of direct entrainment (simplicity and reliability) with that of reduced entrainment (compactness).