Security in Niger: regular coordination meetings between AREVA and the Nigerien authorities
September 21, 2010
Following the publication on the Internet site of French daily Le Monde of a letter sent by the Prefect of Arlit (Niger) to AREVA managers in Niger, the group wishes to make the following points:
- The letter was written in a context of discussion and continuous assessment of the financial and physical resources AREVA makes available to the government authorities in Niger.
- AREVA’s Deputy Senior Vice President, Protection of Assets and Personnel was in Niger from September 7-14, 2010.
- On September 8, he met with the Joint Chief of Staff of the Nigerien army, the Chief of Staff of the land forces and the Minister of Defense. He also met with the Prefect of Arlit on September 10 for an update on coordination of the actions taken by AREVA and the Nigerien defense and security forces.
- Neither the Prefect of Arlit nor the other authorities had any particular information to give him.
- The Deputy Senior Vice President, Protection of Assets and Personnel gave an account of his mission to the French Ambassador and the French Defense Attaché in Niamey before leaving Niger on September 14.
- The group has launched an in-depth internal inquiry and has sought the assistance of General Quesnot, former Chief of Staff of the President of the French Republic, who has been asked to judge the situation and put forward recommendations.
- AREVA is a responsible company. In the current situation, it expects others to adopt a responsible attitude also.
- Under the circumstances, the group deplores the controversy which is inappropriate in view of the threat raised.