A sustainable future
AREVA has built over 95 biomass power plants around the world for a total of more than 2.5 GW. Its presence extends to Europe, South America and Asia, where the group works closely with local industries for all its projects.
In a short amount of time, AREVA has become a trusted provider of bioenergy solutions. Each year, its projects in the field help avoid over 3 million metric tons of CO2 -equivalent emissions.
To meet customer needs, AREVA offers a complete package of engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) services:
- Solution design in collaboration with customers
- Engineering and design of plants
- Equipment procurement
- Project management
- Installation, testing, commissioning and training
Here are some examples of our involvement in this exciting energy market:
- At the end of 2012, AREVA and its partner Leroux & Lotz Technologies delivered a 12 MW cogeneration biomass power plant to Coriance in Pierrelatte, France.
- One year later, the ENECO biomass power plant started operations. The Delfzijl 49.9 MWe installation was built jointly by AREVA, the Dutch civil works company Ballast Nedam Industriebouw and the Finnish boiler supplier Metso Power Oy in the Netherlands.
- In 2013, AREVA and Leroux & Lotz Technologies were selected by Neoen (project developer in renewable energies) to build a 12 MW cogeneration biomass power plant in Commentry, France.
- In 2010, AREVA delivered to Tractebel Energia (a subsidiary of GDF-Suez Group) a 33 MW turnkey co-generation unit for the Ibitiuva Sugar Production Plant located in Pitangueiras, São Paulo state.
- Two years later, AREVA delivered to Rhodia Energy Services (today Rhodia-Solvay Energy Services) a 70 MW turnkey co-generation unit for the Paraiso Sugar and Ethanol Production Plant, located in Brotas, São Paulo state.
- At the end of 2012, AREVA delivered to BenBioenergia (a subsidiary of Bolognesi Group) a 53 MW turnkey co-generation unit for the Seresta Sugar Production Plant located in Teotonio Vilela, Alagoas State.
- In 2007, the Thai utility Buasommai Electricity Generating Co. awarded a new contract to the group to build two turnkey 10 MWe biomass power plants fueled with rice husks in northeastern Thailand. AREVA had already built two units in Thailand in 2009 which are now fully operational.
- In 2013, AREVA and its Thai partner ENSYS were selected by Nakhon Pathom Biomass Co. Ltd, a project developer in the energy field, to build a 9.5 MW biomass power plant in Nakhon Pathom, Thailand.
- In 2013, AREVA and its partner Engcon Energy Philippines were selected by the Green Innovations for Tomorrow Corporation, an independent power producer, to build a 12 MW biomass power plant 200 kilometers north of Manila in the Philippines.
- In 2014, AREVA and its local partner ENSYS delivered to U-Thong Bio Power, a Thai independent power producer, a turnkey 9.9 MW biomass power plant in northwestern Thailand.
- AREVA Renewables’ subsidiary in Singapore covers Southeast Asia, India and the Asia-Pacific region.
Its mission is three-fold:
- explore key markets
- identify the best business development opportunities
- give AREVA a strong foothold in the region
- AREVA Renewables also opened a branch in Manila to support its development in the Philippines and deliver best-in-class project execution locally.
With abundant, under-exploited biomass sources, the ASEAN countries and India are ideal locations to build biomass power plants.