In the near future, wind energy will be produced on the open sea. AREVA’s wind turbines already meet this considerable challenge with technology specifically adapted to the offshore environment.
With four years of experience operating the Alpha Ventus offshore wind farm in Germany, AREVA has demonstrated its efficiency and reliability as a wind turbine manufacturer. Building on the proven technology of the M5000 turbine, AREVA’s new-generation 8 MW wind turbine was developed with increased power to improve the competitiveness of offshore turbines.
AREVA’s wind turbines have all of the key assets for offshore use: reliability, efficiency and performance. Their proven technology is specifically adapted to the conditions of the offshore environment.
Main features of the Areva M5000 turbine
- The mast can be as high as 70 meters
- The rotor has 3 blades with a diameter of 135 meters.
- The mast supports the nacelle, the rotor and its 3 blades, for a total weight of 375 metric tons
- It has rated power of 5 MWe
- It is suited for wind speeds from 3.5 to 20 meters/second
Main features of the Areva 8MW turbine
- The mast measures 90 meters
- The rotor has 3 blades with a diameter of 180 meters
- The mast supports the nacelle, the rotor and the 3 blades, for a total weight of 520 metric tons
- It has rated power of 8 MWe
AREVA’s wind turbines are lightweight. This facilitates their shipment and installation, a crucial factor when working on the open sea.The nacelle is assembled on land so that it can be lifted offshore onto the tower as a complete unit. This saves time and money, and is an added guarantee of a high level of safety for our customers. The reduced weight of the nacelle allows cost-effective tower and foundation structures.
AREVA’s high-tech wind turbines are very compact. The specific configuration of the technical components in the relatively small nacelle is the result of studies on conventional plants. The small dimensions lead to short paths for load transmission to the tower head – ideal for high-power offshore wind turbines.
Reliability is a decisive factor in large offshore wind farms, and AREVA has made it one of its top priorities. The low rotational speed and the low number of rotating parts and roller bearings minimize the risk of damage to the central drive train. In addition, all key auxiliary aggregates and sensors are installed in duplicate, to avoid a complete standstill at all times. A special system permanently monitors the status of key components and reliably reports any irregularity. This makes maintenance work easier to plan and thus doubly efficient.
Protecting the turbine equipment from the corrosive marine atmosphere is vital to the long service life of offshore wind energy. AREVA’s wind turbines are therefore equipped with a patented air treatment system to protect the technology. They absorb the surrounding air and filter out corrosive particles. The entire system is enclosed in a positive pressure environment, protecting it from corrosive external influences.
Servicing and maintenance
Access to an offshore wind park is heavily contingent upon weather conditions. That is why the AREVA M5000 technology is specifically designed to allow for long periods of time between maintenance operations.
- A high-quality monitoring system monitors the reliability of M5000 turbine operations at all times.
- An integrated condition monitoring system gives an accurate picture of turbine components at all times.
- The turbine is self-responding when weather conditions do not permit servicing. If required, the system connects components as appropriate. The major components of the wind turbines are all redundant.
All this makes long-term planning possible for servicing and maintenance on the high sea for optimum efficiency.
Offshore turbine - 3D presentation
The AREVA M5000 combines everything that makes a high quality offshore wind energy plant stand out: reliability, efficiency and high performance. Its technology is tried and tested and perfectly tailored to the conditions on the open sea. The M5000 is manufactured and certified according to the latest international standards (DIN ISO 9001 certificate).